German Potato Dumplings
Serve up these crouton-stuffed potato dumplings as the perfect side to go with your favorite German main dishes.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 50 mins
Yield: 12-14 dumplings
- 2¼ pounds russet potatoes, whole & unpeeled
- 1 cup potato starch or cornstarch, plus extra as needed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, then cook the potatoes until tender, about 40 minutes. Once they have cooled a bit, remove the skins.
- Mash the potatoes using a fork or potato masher. Allow to cool completely, then refrigerate until cold.
- Once cold, add the starch, eggs, and salt to the cold potatoes until they form a smooth dough that holds together. If the mixture is too wet, slowly add more starch until the mixture holds together.
- Roll the potato mixture into balls, about the size of a tennis ball, adding a few croutons to the center of each one.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a simmer, then gently add the dumplings. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the cooked dumplings with a slotted spoon and serve immediately.