Danish Egg Cake
Make it a Scandinavian breakfast with this frittata made with eggs, potatoes, and loads of bacon!
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Total: 40 mins
- 10 eggs
- 3 tbsp half and half
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, cooked and cut into half-inch pieces
- Set the oven rack directly under the broiler.
- Beat the eggs, half and half, chives, and and bit of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Carefully transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour off all but about 1 tbsp of the bacon fat from the pan. Add the potatoes and cook until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the bacon and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Use a non-metal utensil to stir, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook until large curds begin to form. While the eggs are still wet, spread them out so that they're in an even layer. Allow to cook without stirring for another 30 seconds.
- Carefully place the pan under the broil and cook until the surface begins to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Loosen the sides of the cake and transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with chives and serve.